Re: Data Metrics

Camilo (CmlLpz@worldnet.att.net)
Thu, 23 Jul 1998 00:28:24 +0200 (MET DST)

Hi Will,

I have been working on a general theory that would include all kinds of
data types. Could you tell me about a book or papers in which these topics
are studied at length?

1._ "distance metrics" and "similarity measures" in multivariate statistics
2._ Euclidean distance (also known as geometric or L-1 distance),
3._ Manhattan distance (also known as city-block, absolute, maximum or
L-infinity distance), and
4._ Mahalanobis distance.
5._ Purely nominal data is sometimes compared using string distances like
the Levenshtein distance.