Re: AN UNITITIATED NOVICE...CAN YOU HELP?

Tom Whalen (dscthw@panther.gsu.edu)
Wed, 8 Jul 1998 03:00:59 +0200 (MET DST)

Todd Lehman wrote:
> Anyway, Devin didn't say that Kosko invented FL, Devin said that Kosko
> was "largely credited with" inventing FL, which cannot be entirely false.

The statement "Kosko was largely credited with inventing fuzzy logic"
has a truth value which, while low, is not precisely zero since some
people do so credit him. But the statement "Kosko invented fuzzy logic"
has a truth value of exactly zero.

> And did Zadeh really "create" the subject? What about the foundations
> by Russell, Kleene, Black, Lukasiewicz, and many others? Can any one
> person really be said to have actually created the subject of FL?

Perhaps not, but there are billions of people, including Kosko, of whom
it can be said with precision that they did _not_ invent fuzzy logic!

(I would give much of the credit to Aristotle, who said in the
Nichomachean Ethics "It is the mark of an educated person not to require
more precision in a subject than is appropriate to that subject.")

--
Tom Whalen   whalen@gsu.edu   http://www.gsu.edu/~dscthw  (404)651-4080
Professor of Decision Science