Re: Algebraic sum

WSiler (wsiler@aol.com)
Mon, 29 Jun 1998 01:08:40 +0200 (MET DST)

>Sorry to quibble, but this mistake is dangerous enough that it
>deserves correction every time it appears. Having zero correlation
>does NOT generally guarantee probabilistic independence.

I presume that you are referring to the indisputable fact that the correlation
between pairs of values in a sample is only an estimate of the correlation in
the universe from which the sample was drawn. Is this the case? Your correction
is, of course, pefectly accurate.

I am a bit puzzled how to how one can guarantee probabilistic independence
without a perfectly accurate model of the process which generates the sample
values. In real life, especially in Biomathematics, such models are (to put it
mildly) hard to come by. Am I missing something?

By the way - what is Applied Biomathematics? From your phone number, it sounds
like it might be a department at StonyBrook. (I'm a former chairman of the
Biomathematics Department at the University of Alabama at Birmingham.)

Best regards - Bill Siler