Re: A simple question

Xiaozhong Li (xli@sckcen.be)
Sat, 6 Jun 1998 20:38:10 +0200 (MET DST)

At 18:47 98-05-21 +0200, Armando wrote:

>I have some simple questions that probably were already answered, but I
>couldnt find them in the FAQs. Sorry for the unconveniency.
>
>I read something about fuzzy logic and fuzzy control. I understood its
>principles, but I always end up asking "this is very nice, but what are the
>advantages over the usual processes that made use of boolean logic?".
>A controller is basically a mapping that we construct from available data.
>There is a lot of ways to build maps from data (neural networks and
>standard regression). So,
>
>1. What is the big advantage in using fuzzy logic to build a controller,
>and
>2. what fuzzy logic controlers can do that a Neural Net can't?
>
>Thank you very much for all your attention,
>
>Armando

Question 1
What is the big advantage in using fuzzy logic to build a controller?
::
As you said, a controller is basically a mapping that we construct from
available data. In this meaning, a fuzzy controller is equivalent to a
boolean logic controller. When the input-output data are available, you may
select one way (fuzzy logic, neural network, regression, etc.) to build the
map. In this case, the big advantage of the fuzzy logic is the explainable
ability to the control behaviour, while the neural networks and regression
are difficult to explain the actions of the controller. When the
input-output data are not available but the human experiences with
linguistic terms are available, fuzzy logic is the only way to make the
controller. In this case, the big advantage of the fuzzy logic is the
expressible ability to human being's fuzzy experience with strong robustness.

Question 2
What fuzzy logic controlers can do that a Neural Net can't?
::
Fuzzy logic controllers can simulate the human being's experience with
linguistic terms. Neural networks (not fuzzy neural networks) can't.

Fuzzy logic controllers have the explainable ability. Neural networks don't
have.

Xiaozhong

* Xiaozhong Li. PhD, Currently Young Scientific Researcher *
* Belgian Nuclear Research Centre (SCK.CEN) *----------*
* Boeretang 200, B-2400 Mol, Belgium | _L_ *
* phone: (+32-14) 33 22 30(O); 32 25 52(H) | /\X/\ *
* fax: (+32-14) 32 15 29 | \/Z\/ *
* e-mail:xli@sckcen.be http://www.sckcen.be/people/xli | / \ @ *