Re: Fuzzy Pattern Recognition

David A. Fuess (fuess@llnl.gov)
Sat, 6 Jun 1998 19:43:37 +0200 (MET DST)

Rainer Holve <holve@forwiss.de> wrote:

> Actually, the number of possible rules grows exponentially with the number of
>inputs, i.e. n inputs with m fuzzy sets -> m^n rules.

Is this true? What role does the granularity of the membership
functions play in this regard? It would seem that the maximum number
of rules possible (and one is not in any way constrained to provide a
rule for every one possibile) would be, for each output, the sum of
the output MF ganularity X the input granularity for those inputs
which contribute to that output. If two inputs contribute to one
output then the sum would be over (input 1 granularity X input 2
granularity X output granularity) in the worst case. Am I looking at
this wrong?

Dave