Re: Fuzzy c-means initialisation -- summary of replies [long].

Jose Manuel Benitez Sanchez (J.M.Benitez@decsai.ugr.es)
Fri, 1 May 1998 12:22:06 +0200 (MET DST)

--------------661E0C25E4B1C1B85566B6A2

Jonathan G Campbell wrote:

> On 8 April, I wrote:
>
> " I'm implementing a fuzzy c-means clustering routine -- following p.360
> of G.J. Klir and B. Yuan, 1995, Fuzzy Sets and Fuzzy Logic, Prentice
> Hall.
>
> Is there any agreed `best' method of initialisation of the memberships?
> -- presumably best in the sense of faster convergence, I assume that
> local optima is not a problem.

In direct connection to the Mountain Method by Yager and Filev, you
can consider the procedure proposed by S.L.Chiu:

@Article{Chiu:jifs:94,
author = {Stephen L. Chiu},
title = {Fuzzy Model Identification Based on Cluster
Estimation},
journal = {Journal of Intelligent and Fuzzy Systems},
year = 1994,
volume = 2,
pages = {267--278}
}

By the way, the reference for the Mountain Method is:
@Article{Yager:ieee-smc:94,
author = {Ronald R. Yager and D.P.~Filev},
title = {Approximate Clustering Via the Mountain Method},
journal = IEEE Trans. on Systems, Man, and Cybernetics,
year = 1994,
volume = 24,
number = 8,
pages = {1279--1284}
}

Jose Manuel Benitez Sanchez e-mail:
J.M.Benitez@decsai.ugr.es
Dpto. de Ciencias de la Computacion e Inteligencia Artificial
E.T.S. Ingenieria Informatica
Universidad de Granada Tel. +34 - 958 - 24 61 43
18071 - GRANADA (Spain) Fax: +34 - 958 - 24 33 17
--------------661E0C25E4B1C1B85566B6A2

begin: vcard
fn: Jose Manuel Benitez Sanchez
n: Benitez Sanchez;Jose Manuel
org: Depto. Ciencias de la Computacion e I.A.
adr: Avda. Andalucia, 38;;;GRANADA;;18071;Spain
email;internet: J.M.Benitez@decsai.ugr.es
tel;work: +34-958-24 61 43
tel;fax: +34-958-24 33 17
x-mozilla-cpt: ;0