Re: How is the degree of membership calculated?

David A. Fuess (fuess@llnl.gov)
Tue, 28 Apr 1998 15:55:19 +0200 (MET DST)

wsiler@aol.com (WSiler) wrote:

>>Normally one then takes the maximum value over all of the
>> memberships for the linguistic set and assigns that to the result.
>
>Sorry, I cannot agree with that. In my experience, one usually wants to do
>something after fuzzification.

I think you may have missed the point. The process I described is one
step in the evaluation of a single rule in a Mamdani controller. One
would normally follow this operation by creating an alpha cut which is
combined with the results of evaluating all other rules in the
controller and then defuzzify the result. However, the original
question did not beg of such detail. Perhaps I erred in giving a
simple answer to a simple question. You could take a cut at providing
a clearer, more acceptable answer to the original question rather than
picking a fight with me.