Re: Godel's Theorem under Fuzzy Logic?

Tom Whalen (dscthw@panther.Gsu.EDU)
Sat, 28 Mar 1998 23:58:12 +0100 (MET)

The world is divided into two categories:
Those who divide the world into two categories
and
Those who do not divide the world into two categories
;-)

On Tue, 24 Mar 1998, Stan Rice wrote:

> Folks,
> This (below) is hardly a mathematical point, but is it not true?--
> Fuzzy gradations, no matter how fine the steps involved (let alone
> only 10 steps,) come down in the end to binary distinctions. I.e. in
> the end either "this degree" does or does not apply, is or is not
> adequate to these criteria, is or is not alowed to trigger an action.
> In other words, there is no distinction that is not bivalent, because
> any distinction whatever is bivalent.
> Can anyone show otherwise?
>
> In other words, fuzzy is bivalent as long as it admits of distinction.
> A more profound question is whether the consciousness in which
> all distinctions appear actually supports them in the manner that
> we imagine. Penrose seems right to me.
> Cheers, Stan R

Tom Whalen whalen@gsu.edu http://www.gsu.edu/~dscthw (404)651-4080
Professor of Decision Science
The Georgia State University "First things first, but not
Atlanta, GA 30303-3083 USA necessarily in that order" - Dr. Who