Re: the beginning

Christopher Reid Palmer (reid@newton.pconline.com)
Sat, 28 Mar 1998 21:10:28 +0100 (MET)

On Tue, 24 Mar 1998, Dr. Vesa A. Niskanen wrote:

> Brief history of fuzziness:
> 1.The problem of vagueness/impreciseness is very old. A common problem
> during the last 2500 years has been that the Greek and Latin terms pistin,
> pithanos, probabilis, verisimilis etc. have been ambiguous. Hence,
> uncertainty and vagueness have been confused.

With the terms "uncertainty" and "vagueness", are you distinguishing
probability and fuzz, respectively? Just clarifying.

> 2. Black has considered vagueness (not fuzziness)

Can you distinguish between these, please? Does vagueness refer to a lack
of information, while fuzz refers to multivalued truth? Is there no
semantic intersection between these two?

> Black was considering linguistic pragmatic vagueness, whereas
> fuzzy systems usually deal with linguistic semantic vagueness.

What do you see as the difference between semantics and pragmatics?

> According to
> Black, Russell confused vagueness and generality.

And what does "generality" mean?

Sorry for excessive nitpicking, but I like non-fuzzy definitions. :)

Christopher Reid Palmer : reid@pconline.com : innerfire on IRC (EFNet)

Accept loss forever : Jack Kerouac