Re: heuristic tuning algorithms

Tom Whalen (dscthw@panther.Gsu.EDU)
Fri, 6 Feb 1998 19:05:01 +0100 (MET)

On Sat, 31 Jan 1998, Anita Nair wrote:

> Hi, I wish to do a membership function tuning for a Mamdani fuzzy
> engine. ... Also, since I donot have a good training set for my
> problem, I want to know if there is literature on some heuristic
> training techniques which may minimize the need for training sets. Could
> you suggest me a source to get to this destination?
> Anita Nair

"Lexicographic Tuning of a Fuzzy Controller"
Thomas Whalen and Brian Schott
in Bien, Z. and K.C. Min,(eds.): Fuzzy Logic and Its Applications to
Engineering, Information Sciences, and Intelligent Systems,
Kluwer, 1995, p. 91-100

The above paper summarizes work presented in preliminary form at these two
conferences:

"Optimal Tuning of a Fuzzy Controller Using Box' 'Complex' Algorithm"
Thomas Whalen and Brian Schott
Proceedings, Fifth International Fuzzy Systems Association World
Congress, 1993, p.1350-1353

"Lexicographic Tuning of a Fuzzy Controller Using Box' 'Complex'
Algorithm"
Thomas Whalen and Brian Schott
Proceedings, Second IEEE International Conference on Fuzzy
Systems, 1993, p.285-290

The folowing conference paper presetns a different approach:

"Tuning a Fuzzy Controller using Quadratic Response Surfaces"
Brian Schott and Thomas Whalen
Proceedings, 1992 North American Fuzzy Information Processing
Association Conference, pages 330-339, 1992

Tom Whalen whalen@gsu.edu (404)651-4080 fax (404)651-3498
Professor of Decision Science
The Georgia State University "First things first, but not
Atlanta, GA 30303-3083 USA necessarily in that order" - Dr. Who