Re: image processing

Dan B. Rasmussen (dan@ruc.dk)
Mon, 22 Dec 1997 19:23:33 +0100 (MET)

Many thanks to all who replied to my inquiry:

>I am working on a project where I have to identify spots on a digitized
>image. I am searching for literature and C/C++ libraries or source code
>for image processing that can detect and characterize contiguous pixels in
>the image that are to be grouped as one object.
>
>I would like to know if somebody is working in this area and where I can
>find such information.

I enclose a summary of the responses below:

Sincerely,
Dan Rasmussen

-----8<-----------------------------------------------

1)
From: "Ellen L. Walker" <walkerel@walkerel.hiram.edu>

I'm not sure exactly what you're after. There has been lots of work
on clustering, going back to Azriel Rosenfeld, and more recently (fuzzy
clustering) by Dave and Krishnapuram and their students. I have done
some work on fuzzy perceptual grouping (see Transactions on Fuzzy Systems,
1994 I think -- there are exact pointers on my web page -
http://hirame.hiram.edu/~walkerel
)

If you haven't already done so, you should also look at traditional image
processing approaches - some textbooks are Gonzalez & Wintz, Duda & Hart,
or Haralick & Shapiro.

2)
From: Rafael Santos <santos@mickey.ai.kyutech.ac.jp>

You can get Khoros (http://www.khoral.com) that will give you plenty of
tools for image processing and the ability to create your own tools.

For that specific task a clustering or classification procedure could
help. I've developed a toolbox for image processing that could solve the
problem, but it runs under Khoros.

3)
From: TransferTech@t-online.de (Gerhard Pogrzeba)

we have done such tasks with our tools FCM (Fuzzy Control Manager) and
NeuroCoM
(Neuro Control Manager) which produce C-Code which we integrate in the
apropriate environments. Have a look at our web-site for the demos.

Dan Rasmussen
Graekenlandsvej 13, 2tv.,
DK-2300 Copenhagen. S.,
Denmark