Re: Trade Software

Jerry Whitnell (no.spam@here.com)
Mon, 22 Dec 1997 16:37:40 +0100 (MET)

In article <Pine.OSF.3.95q.971218104012.9153A-100000@osf1.gmu.edu>, Brad
Wallet KF4UYM <bwallet@osf1.gmu.edu> wrote:

> On Wed, 17 Dec 1997, Marc Champigny wrote:
>
> > Hello everyone,
> >=20
> > I=92m a graduate student in developmental biology who is interested in
> > acquiring neural network/ genetic algorithm/ fuzzy logic software for
> > the purpose of futures trading.
>
> You should probably begin by learning a bit about economics. In
> particular, I would research the Theory of Market Efficiency. Then,
> get a hold of a statistics text and learn about random walks. After that,
> you should probably consider a new project.=20

"Listen to the experts. They'll tell you why it can't be done. Then do it."

Heinlien (probably misquoted).

I've been studying this same problem and have several references to
studies that have used neural nets and genetic algorithem to trade the
markets. One includes a review of market efficiency theory and concludes
that it is not true for all markets at all times (email me for reference,
it's at home). Also check out the following sites:

http://bfi.bnp.fr/public/lmm/gmr/quantitative_research/issue3/issue3b/Wpsep97c.htm
http://bfi.bnp.fr/public/lmm/gmr/quantitative_research/issue4/wpdec97b.htm
http://www.cs.unr.edu/~reeves/abstract.html
http://www.olsen.ch/reasearch/406_ingredients/406_ingredients.html
http://www.novagentica.com/

http://www.flash.net/~hesler/
http://www.voicenet.com/~mitochon

--
Jerry Whitnell                               First Virtual Corp
jerry at fvc.com                             http://www.fvc.com