Re: Problem with fuzzy rule implication

David A. Fuess (fuess@llnl.gov)
Sun, 9 Nov 1997 00:36:20 +0100 (MET)

Michael McConnell <Michael.McConnell@lawson.com> wrote:

>I am currently working on a fuzzy rule engine in Java. One of the
>problems I am having is deciding when the alternate clause of a
>consequent should be invoked.
>
>Basically a rule looks like:
>
>if <premise> then <primary consequent>
> else <alt consequent>;
>
>I am correlating the consequent with the degree of membership of the
>premise, but when should the alternate consequent be invoked and
>correlated? Should it be (1.0 - degree of mem) of the premise? or only
>if the degree of membership of the premise is zero?

I've always had a problem with the else clause in general. It's like
having an "if <not premise> then <consequent>" which works against any
other rule who's premise uses the same linguistic variable. I believe
that you can formulate any FL system without using a single "not" rule
or "else" clause. Further, I'll bet the result will be more readable
and understandable.

Dave's $0.02