Re: An overview of Fuzzy Logic

ron newman (ronman@imt.net)
Sun, 19 Oct 1997 13:41:37 +0200 (MET DST)

In article <dasherEH8z5r.FE5@netcom.com>,
dasher@netcom.com (Anton Sherwood) wrote:

>I'm nowhere near school but I second the question. _Fuzzy Thinking_
>(like the other popular book I've read, by McNeill & Freiberger) talks
>a lot about the mindset of fuzzy logic, but has little concrete in it;
>the examples are just linear interpolation in fancy dress.
>I don't want babytalk but everything else I find is 'way over my head.
>What's a good book for someone who, say, has had two semesters of
>calculus?

And I third the question! I've used one of Earl Cox's books, which
includes a software library on disk, and built a successful program
using it, but the writing, while not mathematical, was disorganized and
lifeless. You had to skip all around to find relevant information. Someone
who's a good writer should get with Cox or Kosko and co-write something that
covers the middle ground between mathematical robustness and baby-talk. That's
what's needed to get fuzzy logic going in the U.S.!

Ron Newman
Troubadour Technology Music
http://www.imt.net/~ronman/animal.htm