Re: An overview of Fuzzy Logic

Anthony Cowden (cowden@sonalysts.com)
Sat, 11 Oct 1997 12:03:16 +0200 (MET DST)

Anton Sherwood wrote:

> Jonathan Thayer Graham <grambo@wpi.edu> writes
> : hey folks, my name is Jon Graham and i am a freshman at the Worcester
> : Polytechnic Institute (worcester, ma, usa). i am trying to write an
> : essay comparing and contrasting fuzzy and binary logic. i am having
> : trouble finding sources of this information. i have already read
> : Fuzzy Thinking, by Bart Kosko, but, i still need a lot more info.
> : if anyone out there can halp me, please do. my thanx.
>
> I'm nowhere near school but I second the question. _Fuzzy Thinking_
> (like the other popular book I've read, by McNeill & Freiberger) talks
> a lot about the mindset of fuzzy logic, but has little concrete in it;
> the examples are just linear interpolation in fancy dress.
> I don't want babytalk but everything else I find is 'way over my head.
> What's a good book for someone who, say, has had two semesters of
> calculus?
> --
> Anton Sherwood *\\* +1 415 267 0685 *\\* DASher at netcom point com
> "How'd ya like to climb this high WITHOUT no mountain?" --Porky Pine 70.6.19

Find Lotfi Zadeh's original 1965 paper on fuzzy sets to get a grounding
in the basics of fuzzy set theory. Also, see Klir and Yuan's "Fuzzy
Sets and Fuzzy Systems: Theory and Applications" or Earl Cox's two books
(references buried on our Web page).

Don't be fooled by the simplicity of the algorithms/processes used to
implement the logic based on fuzzy set theory. It is a powerful tool
for addressing some very difficult problems, and has quietly (at least
here in the US) solved a lot of difficult problems...

Tony

--
******************* http://www.sonalysts.com/fuzzy.htm