Re: What about our own intelligence??

Stephan Lehmke (lehmke@informatik.uni-dortmund.de)
Thu, 18 Sep 1997 14:41:36 +0200 (MET DST)

In article <5v87sl$6t8$1@news.mel.aone.net.au>,
"Travis Fusae" <fusae@t130.aone.net.au> writes:
> Please respond to this statement (as fully or briefly as you like)...
>
>"The need for man to be intelligent will be reduced if machines are able to
>become intelligent. Is this true???"

I'd rather say whenever machines acquire some skill which is commonly
referred to as `intelligent behaviour', the definition of human
intelligence will subtly change.

The skill of doing difficult calculations in ones head is not really
considered a sign of great intelligence anymore nowadays any pocket
calculator can out-calculate most of the human population, is it?
I mean, even people out-calculating calculators on an abacus are
considered very fast with their fingers, but not neccessarily
intelligent.

Even chess, the ultimate measure of `intelligence' in old times
seems to shed some of its gloss once it's discovered you can do
it quite well with alpha-beta pruning and a lot of sheer calculating
power (I mean, interestingly, in particular all attempts to build
`knowledge-based' chess programs have failed miserably...).

Nowadays, it seems to me that intelligence is defined as the ability
of structuring and analysing complex problems, and in particular of
finding connections between seemingly unrelated pieces of knowledge.

Something which is admittedly rather difficult for machines at the
moment.

As soon as machines begin to acquire some of these skills, for instance
shamefully by brute force machine learning techniques, maybe the
definition of intelligence will move on to gain more aspects of
creativity...

Until machines catch up yet again...

Only my $0.02.

regards
Stephan

--
  Stephan Lehmke     		        Stephan.Lehmke@cs.uni-dortmund.de
  Department of Computer Science I	Tel. +49 231 755 6434