Re: I/IS

Sam Sengupta (sengupta@fang.cs.sunyit.edu)
Sun, 13 Jul 1997 18:46:04 +0200

May you have a wonderful day!

On Fri, 11 Jul 1997, Hadas Zies wrote:

> To: BISC Group
> From: L. A. Zadeh
>

> The terms "Information Systems" and "Intelligent Systems" have been --
> and continue to be -- in wide use today. What I should like to suggest is the
> use of the composite term "Information/Intelligent Systems," or I/IS for short,
> to describe the union of Information Systems and Intelligent Systems, with
> Intelligent Information Systems representing the intersection of Information
> Systems and Intelligent Systems.
>
> I/IS is rapidly emerging as the core of modern technology. In this
> perspective, soft computing may be viewed as one of the pillars of I/IS.
>
> With my warm regards to all,
>

> Lotfi Zadeh
>

> P.S. Some of you have not been receiving BISC messages. If this applies to
> you or someone you know, please send a message to Michael Lee,
> leem@cs.berkeley.edu.

Allow me to extend it a little further. Hows about calling it an
"Infolligent field"? The first part of my term reflects the combined words
information and intelligent in a synergetic existence. The second part
acknowledges a "field" view of a being rather than a crisp localized
entity in the sense of Heidegger. It is analogous to Einstein's
gravitational field in space-time continua as opposed to the classical
Newtonian view of crisp object systems.

Warmest regards

Sam (sengupta@sunyit.edu)