Re: Fuzzy Logic

Mihaela Ulieru (ulieru@cs.sfu.ca)
Mon, 10 Feb 1997 11:09:23 +0100

Dear Friends,

Well... I didn't realize why was I feeling so "big" and "important" today,
until I found out a few hours ago that I've been suddenly and ireversibly
promoted by Cindy to the rank of ... BISCER (or, as quite well sugested
Erol, BISKER)!!!

I take Lotfi's hunger for soup as an invitation to rush submiting my paper
on Approximate Reasoning Approaches for Diagnostic Decision (just one more
face-to-face the fuzzy and probabilistic stuff...) Given that in the past
time my average dynamics was measured in changing both residence and work
place in three countries and two continents about every 6 month, I have
postponed the submission of this paper, and look!, soup lovers like Lotfi
are starving! (Mea culpa!) It is indeed important to make public how
outrageously easy fuzzy logic solves critical tasks especially when it
comes to real implementations! (I'll get back to you all soon regarding my
present work with the Canadian industry.)

I promise as well to fill the form suggested by Lotfi every 6 month, so
that my friends can contact me (or, if you want, find no more excuse for
not having contacted me for so long... :-))

My new parameters are

> Mihaela Ulieru (well, this is not new!)
>

>Title: Dr.-Ing. (this is the German for Doctor in Engineering)

>Address (office): Mihaela Ulieru, Dr.-Ing.
Postdoctoral Research Fellow
Intelligent Robotics and Manufacturing Division
School of Engineering Science
Simon Fraser University
Burnaby, BC V5A 1S6, CANADA

>Address (home): 403-7351 Halifax
Burnaby, BC V5a 4H3 CANADA

>Tel. (office): (604)291-4371
>
>Tel. (home): (604)415-0636
>
>Fax (office): (604)291-4951
>
>Fax (home): (604)415-0636 (please ring first so that I can connect)
>
>e-mail: ulieru@cs.sfu.ca
web site: http://www.sfu.ca/eng-sci/irms (here you can find more
details)

>Spouse's first name: (Haven't found one yet. A name, I mean :-))...
Sorry to disappoint you guys!

Truly Yours,

Mihaela

>To: BISC Group
>From: L. A. Zadeh
>

>Dear Biscers:
>(Biscer is a mew word coined by Cindy Mason)
>

> As you know, there are some who claim that anything that can be done
>with fuzzy logic and possibility theory can be done with probability theory.
>
> This claim is a special case of a more general claim of the form:
>anything that can be done with method A can be done with method B.
>
> A good example of this dictum is the following.
>
> Anything that can be eaten with a spoon, e.g., soup, can be eaten
>with a
>fork. True. The only problem is that you may run out time and patience.
>

> As always,
>
> Lotfi Zadeh
>

>P.S. My new parameters are
>
> Lotfi A. Zadeh
>

>Title: Professor in the Graduate School
> and Director, Berkeley Initiative in Soft
>Computing
> (BISC)
>
>Address (office): Professor L. A. Zadeh
> Computer Science Division
> University of California
> Berkeley, CA 94720-1776
>
>Address (home): Dr. L. A. Zadeh
> 904 Mendocino
> Berkeley, CA 94707-1925
>
>Tel. (office): (510)642-4959
>
>Tel. (home): (510)526-2569
>
>Fax (office): (510)642-1712 or (510)642-5775
>
>Fax (home): (510)526-2433
>
>e-mail: zadeh@cs.berkeley.edu
>
>Spouse's first name: Fay
>

> I should like to suggest to all Biscers to provide this information
>about themselves to the BISC group.

Dr.-Ing. Mihaela Ulieru
School of Engineering Science
Simon Fraser University
Burnaby, BC V5A 1A6
Canada
Tel: (604) 415-0636 or 291-4371 or 291-4710
Fax: (604) 291-4951
Internet: ulieru@cs.sfu.ca
http://www.sfu.ca/eng-sci/irms