Re: Environmental Applications?

Ulf Nordlund (ulf.nordlund@pal.uu.se)
Tue, 1 Oct 1996 13:54:34 +0100

In article <5918211525091996/A08177/AESBED/11A9CBD51200*@MHS>,
fuzzy-mail@dbai.tuwien.ac.at wrote:

> Can anyone tell us about applications of fuzzy logic in environmental
sciences?
> Domains of interest include: ecology, pollution, agriculture, fisheries,
> forestry, meteorology and oceanography.
>
> We are preparing a chapter on fuzzy logic for a handbook in AI. The handbook
> is being assembled by AIRIES (Artificial Intelligence Research in
Environmental
> Sciences). The book is intended to introduce environmental scientists to
> practical, state-of-the-art AI techniques.
>
> My own field is meteorology. Potential applications of fuzzy logic that
> interest me are:
>
> expert systems that use heuristics and neural networks;
> remote sensing - e.g. analysis of scatterometer signals;
> control algorithms for environmental sensors;
> data-base mining - satellite and surface climate records.
>
> I will post results of this search on a web page:
>
> http://www.tuns.ca/~bjarne/links.html
>
> The AI Handbook for Environmental Sciences should be published in early 1998.
> I will post any news about the book on the same web page.
>
> TIA,
>
> Bjarne Hansen (for the "AIRIES Fuzzy Team")
> Meteorologist, Environment Canada
> Halifax, Canada
>
> P.S. The "AIRIES Fuzzy Team" comprises: Rich Bankert, Mike Hadjimichael, and
> me. Our email addresses are:
>
> bankert@nrlmry.navy.mil
> hadjimic@nrlmry.navy.mil
> bjarne@tuns.ca

There's a simulation program using a user-defined fuzzy system for
controlling deposition and erosion of sediments at an ocean margin...

You can download the program, manual and test files from:

URL=<GOPHER://strix.udac.uu.se.:70/40/palun/fuzzim.sea.hqx>

Let me know if you need some published documentation.

Cheers,
Ulf

--
   Ulf Nordlund, Inst. for Earth Sciences