Re: truth values if one variable is undefined?

From: Andrew Edmonds (andy@metarule.com)
Date: Sun Mar 31 2002 - 23:46:00 MEST

    Hello Ernst,

    In our software, XmlMiner and XMLRule, which you can look at on
    http://www.metarule.com we use a sort of tristate logic, although that
    doesn't really sum it up. Degrees of truth are represented as values between
    0 and 1 inclusive, and a "don't know" condition is coded as -1. All our
    operators handle the -1 case through a truth table, and propogate the don't
    know through the rule to the result. For example an "and" function
    returns -1 if either input is unknown, an "or" function returns the other
    input value if one of the inputs is unknown etc. For a "not" function if the
    input is -1, so is the output. Any aggregation has to take care of don't
    knows propogating through and respond accordingly. You can get more
    information on our web site. I'd be interested to know who else uses this
    system, we've used it for some time.

    Best wishes,

    Andy Edmonds, Scientio, Inc.