Re: Linguistic value vs. linguistic term?

From: Hugh Watkins (hugh_watkins@net.dialog.dk)
Date: Tue Feb 26 2002 - 03:56:05 MET

    "Nikolaus D. Bayer" <nikolaus@brtrecyclingtechnologie.de> wrote in message news:3C61CC0D.8070108@brtrecyclingtechnologie.de...

    > Hi all,
    >
    > could anyone explain me, where the difference is between linguistic
    > terms and linguistic values?

    type up to 10 words in Google

    http://www.comp.nus.edu.sg/~pris/FuzzyLogic/DescriptionDetailed2.html

    Just as numerical variables take numerical values, in fuzzy logic, linguistic variables take on linguistic values which are words
    (linguistic terms) with associated degrees of membership in the set.

    Thus, instead of a variable height assuming a numerical value of 1.75 meters, it is treated as a linguistic variable that may
    assume, for example, linguistic values of tall with a degree of membership of 0.92, "very short" with a degree of 0.06, or "very
    tall" with a degree of 0.7.

    This concept was introduced by Zadeh to provide a means of approximate characterization of phenomena that are too complex or too
    ill-defined to be amenable to description in conventional quantitative terms.

    Linguistic variables take on values defined in its term set - its set of linguistic terms. Linguistic terms are subjective
    categories for the linguistic variable. <<

    new to me too

    Hugh W

    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=where+the+difference+is+between+linguistic+terms+and+linguistic+values&btnG=Google+Search

    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=definition++linguistic+terms+linguistic+values&btnG=Google+Search

    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=definition++%22linguistic+terms%22&btnG=Google+Search

    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=definition++%22linguistic+values%22&btnG=Google+Search

    Method modeling using fuzzy logic
    >... S [10]. Based on the definition of fuzzy sets, the concept ... a human expert. A linguistic
    variable is a variable whose values, called linguistic values, have ...
    trese.cs.utwente.nl/automated_se/ - 21k - 07 Feb 2002 -

    Fuzzy Logic Description Detailed
    >... It is the ambiguity found in the definition of a concept or the meaning of ... Linguistic
    Variables, Linguistic Values, Linguistic Terms. Just as numerical ...
    www.comp.nus.edu.sg/~pris/FuzzyLogic/DescriptionDetailed2.html