AI is an umbrella term that covers many topics. AI in its pure form of
course means creating true intelligence (a concious lifeform?).
However, it is very hard to define true intelligence / conciousness,
ie. you know you are concious, but how do you know the people around
you are? You have no way of telling. Are dogs concious? How about
ants? If you create a piece of software that exactly models an ant, it
won't even pass the Turing-test...
Most of AI is concerned with simulating intelligence, or to put it
another way, create things which, given some input produce sensible
output according to some algorithm which we think mimics intelligence.
These things are usually programs, and the basis of these algorithms
is some branch of mathematics, which fall under the umbrella term AI.
Fuzzy logic is such a branch of mathematics, which is a generalization
of first order logic, and is closer to how we think humans reason than
first order logic is.
This message was posted through the fuzzy mailing list.
(1) To subscribe to this mailing list, send a message body of
"SUB FUZZY-MAIL myFirstName mySurname" to email@example.com
(2) To unsubscribe from this mailing list, send a message body of
"UNSUB FUZZY-MAIL" or "UNSUB FUZZY-MAIL firstname.lastname@example.org"
(3) To reach the human who maintains the list, send mail to
(4) WWW access and other information on Fuzzy Sets and Logic see
(5) WWW archive: http://www.dbai.tuwien.ac.at/marchives/fuzzy-mail/index.html
This archive was generated by hypermail 2b30 : Thu Dec 27 2001 - 17:55:59 MET