Re: Stupid question

From: P. Sarma (psarma@seas.upenn.edu)
Date: Tue Dec 04 2001 - 18:47:13 MET

    It is interesting to note that the continuous model of the binary set, or
    the Heaviside step function S(x) \in [0,1], satisfies the basic criteria for
    inclusion in the general collection of "sigmoidal" functions, \sigma(x),
    that are used in Cybenko's classic universal function approximator (UFA)
    paper. By definition, S(x) is Lebesgue-integrable; and clearly S(x) ---> 1
    as x ---> \infty, S(x) ---> 0 as x ---> - \infty.

    Therefore, according to Cybenko's theorems, S(x) also forms the basis for a
    UFA. Since Cybenko's paper generates necessary conditions only, there is no
    specification on the upper bound of number of nodal \sigma(x) units required
    to actually approximate some smooth function F(x) within a prespecified
    tolerance, \epsilon, except that it is finite, for all such \sigma(x). Thus
    a finite, though possibly large, collection of binary number-step functions
    may be used to model any smooth function, including, eg. some fuzzy
    membership function. This generates one interrelationship between binary
    and fuzzy variables.

    Corrections, insight, comments are very welcome.

    Pramit