Re: Consistency of fuzzy rules

From: ordosclan (ordosclan@china.com)
Date: Tue Nov 06 2001 - 11:53:02 MET

    Yaochu Jin <ftrjin@mail.ipm.net> wrote in message news:<200110231024.MAA08527@mail.ipm.net>...

    > >How about these two rules:
    > >
    > >R1: IF obstacle is straight ahead THEN turn left
    > >R2: IF obstacle is straight ahead THEN turn right

    (default assumption removed)

    > not the point. The point is, if you use the two rules you wrote, the robot will
    > collide against the obstacle, simply because the two rules are inconsistent. It
    > is you, not the fuzzy logic that can resolve the contradiction.
    > Yaochu Jin

    Isnt the idea of fuzzy logic supposed to be that the "fuzzy" element
    is left for contemplation? I guess in the interval of the machine
    trying to figure out which way to turn, it collides into the object.

    Now, why isnt this machine smart enough to recognise an "object" and
    its size, location and "go around" it?

    ordosclan@china.com
    "...Build up a false world picture... Temporarily consistent to any
    tests he can apply to it. So he takes action on it. The falseness of
    the picture is then starkly revealed by the incongruity which his
    actions precipitate. ..False
    world pictures are facilitated by controlling the channel of
    communication by which he is getting his picture. ...The ease of
    counter-detecting is when different channels of examination are used
    simultaneously."

    --R.V. Jones (Reginald victor) The theory of practical joking: Its
    relevance to physics, Bulletine of the Institute of Mathematics and
    its Applications, Vol. 11 Jan/Feb, 1975