Re: Consistency of fuzzy rules

From: Marco Pellegrini (IlPelle@rocketmail.com)
Date: Wed Oct 24 2001 - 19:59:33 MET DST

     Are them simply not deterministic?
    ciao
    Il Pelle

      Adam Gaweda <aegawe01@brain.spd.louisville.edu> wrote: On 17 Oct 2001, Yaochu Jin wrote:

    > >WSiler@aol.com wrote:
    > >
    > >> I see no reason why different consequents mean necessarily that the
    > >> rules are inconsistent.
    > >
    > >I agree.
    > >I even would go one step further: rules are never inconsistent.
    > >Inconsistency only arises when rules contradict domain knowledge.
    > >This is irrespective of whether the rules are interpreted as
    > >Mamdani-like rules or as implications.
    >
    > This argument itself is inconsistent. Remind that fuzzy rules are believed to be
    > able to extract knowledge from data. If rules are never inconsistent, how can
    > rules be inconsistent with domain knowledge, which can usually be represented by
    > fuzzy rules? Just an example. From data, you get two rules:
    >
    > R1: If speed is high and distance is short, brake sharply (to stop)
    > R2: If speed is high and distance is short, brake slightly (to stop)
    >
    > These two rules, in my view are inconsistent.

    How about these two rules:

    R1: IF obstacle is straight ahead THEN turn left
    R2: IF obstacle is straight ahead THEN turn right

    Adam

    --0-705720671-1003831225=:54836

    <P> Are them simply not deterministic?
    <P>ciao
    <P>Il Pelle
    <P>&nbsp;
    <P>&nbsp; <B><I>Adam Gaweda &lt;aegawe01@brain.spd.louisville.edu&gt;</I></B> wrote:
    <BLOCKQUOTE style="BORDER-LEFT: #1010ff 2px solid; MARGIN-LEFT: 5px; PADDING-LEFT: 5px">On 17 Oct 2001, Yaochu Jin wrote:<BR><BR>&gt; &gt;WSiler@aol.com wrote:<BR>&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; &gt;&gt; I see no reason why different consequents mean necessarily that the<BR>&gt; &gt;&gt; rules are inconsistent.<BR>&gt; &gt;<BR>&gt; &gt;I agree.<BR>&gt; &gt;I even would go one step further: rules are never inconsistent.<BR>&gt; &gt;Inconsistency only arises when rules contradict domain knowledge.<BR>&gt; &gt;This is irrespective of whether the rules are interpreted as<BR>&gt; &gt;Mamdani-like rules or as implications.<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; This argument itself is inconsistent. Remind that fuzzy rules are believed to be <BR>&gt; able to extract knowledge from data. If rules are never inconsistent, how can <BR>&gt; rules be inconsistent with domain knowledge, which can usually be represented by <BR>&gt; fuzzy rules? Just an example. From data, you get two rules:<BR>&gt; <BR>&gt; R1: If speed is h!
    Make a great connection at <a
    href="http://rd.yahoo.com/mktg/mail/txt/tagline/?http://personals.yahoo.com" target="_blank">Yahoo! Personals</a>.
    --0-705720671-1003831225=:54836--