Fuzzy Logic and Microprocessors (Re: fuzzy and assembly)

From: Bruno Di Stefano (nuptek@sympatico.ca)
Date: Mon Oct 01 2001 - 18:41:30 MET DST

    --------------12E1EC9246A51C7AE7E478DE

    Fuzzy & Assembly sounds as a bad idea. Fuzzy and C or C++ is more
    reliable. In any case, you can find some idea looking at:
    the Dr. Dobb's Journal (http://www.ddj.com/). Two old issues had
    articles:
    - Feb93: FUZZY LOGIC IN C
    - Apr94: Fuzzy Logic in C: An Update
    There may be others, but these two come to my mind right now.

    Motorola has published quite a bit on this topic. While it is all
    geared to Motorola products, it is rather portable. Some 10 years
    ago I went through one of the Motorola application notes, but
    I converted everything to run in a NEC V25 and eventually, I converted
    into C, so that it could run with any micro.

    Motorola application note AN1284/D, "Transporting M68HC11 Code to
    M68HC12 Devices" by James M. Sibigtroth has something on the use =

    of the HC12 as a fuzzy controller. This micro is a smart choice.

    Sibigtroth is the author of various aplication notes and some public
    domain software in this area, the implementation of fuzzy logic in
    microprocessors. Some of this stuff, by now, is only of historical
    value, but some is still applicable.

    www.aptronix.com and www.fuzzytech.com have tools that will work with
    one or more of the following (depending on which one you choose): =

    HC05, HC08, HC11, HC12, HC16, 68300, MPC500, M=95 CORE. My experience has=

    been better with www.fuzzytech.com.

    Microchip Technology Inc. has an application note showing "Air Flow
    Control using Fuzzy Logic" (AN-600). They also have a development =

    package for students. Also Microchip is supported by Fuzzytech.

    Last but not least: do not underestimate the difficulty. All books make
    it look very simple. However, if you want to build a real product, one
    of
    those that are sold in 10s of 1000s or more, it takes quite a bit of
    experience. My company has 20+ years of experience in product design
    (around 10 years in these area). We have seen many problems that never
    appear in the books.

    Good luck.

    Best regards

    Bruno Di Stefano

    Tomas Jura wrote:
    > =

    > On Thu, Sep 27, 2001 at 01:08:40PM +0200, tristan punzalan
    > wrote:
    > > I am having trouble programming fuzzy logic using
    > > assembly language. How does one represent the grade of
    > > membership in assembly when its values are from 0 to 1?
    > =

    > Usually is enough to represent membership on fixed point
    > arithmetics on one byte ( 256 leveles of membership ). This
    > fairly enough for most applications.
    > =

    > IMHO I think that programming fuzzy inference engines in
    > assembly language is not a good choice. Code is nonportable,
    > difficult to maintain,...
    > =

    > Tomas
    > =

    com"
    > to listproc@dbai.tuwien.ac.at
    > (3) To reach the human who maintains the list, send mail to
    > fuzzy-owner@dbai.tuwien.ac.at
    > (4) WWW access and other information on Fuzzy Sets and Logic see
    > http://www.dbai.tuwien.ac.at/ftp/mlowner/fuzzy-mail.info
    > (5) WWW archive: http://www.dbai.tuwien.ac.at/marchives/fuzzy-mail/inde=
    x.html

    -- Bruno Di Stefano ----------------------------------------
    Business: nuptek@sympatico.ca www3.sympatico.ca/nuptek
    UofT: bruno@ecf.toronto.edu www.ecf.toronto.edu/~bruno
    IEEE: b.distefano@ieee.org
    Private: brunodistefano@hotmail.com
    --------------12E1EC9246A51C7AE7E478DE

    begin:vcard
    n:Di Stefano;Bruno
    tel;fax:416 925 7288
    tel;work:416 925 7231
    x-mozilla-html:FALSE
    url:http://www3.sympatico.ca/nuptek
    org:Nuptek Systems Ltd
    version:2.1
    email;internet:nuptek@sympatico.ca
    title:Bruno Di Stefano
    adr;quoted-printable:;;15 McMurrich Street=0D=0Asuite 1002;Toronto;Ontario;M5R 3M6;Canada
    note;quoted-printable:Nuptek Systems Ltd consulting in Fuzzy Logic=0D=0A
    x-mozilla-cpt:;-21152
    fn:Bruno Di Stefano c/o Nuptek Systems Ltd.
    end:vcard