ANFIS vs. training FIS with classical optimization methods

From: Barry Wiewiora (barry_wiewiora@yahoo.com)
Date: Tue Sep 11 2001 - 04:29:24 MET DST

    Hi all,

    I was wondering if anybody knows how ANFIS compares to taking a hand
    designed FIS, and optimizing its parameters using one of the classical
    optimization methods. The advantage of doing so would be the ability
    to place as many constraints that match one's huristics on the
    problem, as well as the ability to design Mamdani systems or system
    with multiple outputs.

    Please let me know if you have experienced such approach, and if you
    have had much success with it. Also, if there are limitations doing
    that, I would like to know.

    Thanks,
    Barry

    PS: Please CC me at barry_wiewiora@yahoo.com, if possible.