Re: Thomas' Fuzziness and Probability

From: WSiler@aol.com
Date: Sat Aug 18 2001 - 13:25:21 MET DST

    In a message dated 8/16/01 4:00:19 AM Central Daylight Time,
    earldcox1@home.com writes:

    << > In article <23af61c2.0108142014.6f210d4f@posting.google.com>, Robert
     Dodier writes:

    >> Any such definition must ignore the relation between elements in a
    >> compound: if truth(B')=truth(B), then in any proposition containing
    >> A and B, I can swap in B' in place of B, and get exactly the same
    >> truth value for the compound; whether the elements are redundant,
    >> contradictory, or completely unrelated doesn't enter the calculation.

    This is only true if we have truth-functional logic. I know that
    truth-functionality has been accepted as a given in the fuzzy-math
    literature. However, we pay a terrible price for truth functionality. That
    price is the loss of excluded middle and contradiction, which underlies
    Elkan's paper of some years ago. The hard fact is that in the real world,
    this loss often makes no sense.

    Consider, for example, Earl's fuzzy set in which Short had membership 0.15,
    Medium had membership 0.85, and Tall had membership 0.65 (or something like
    that). Common sense tells us that Short OR Medium OR Tall should be 1,
    instead of .85, and that Short AND Medum AND Tall should probably be zero
    instead of 0.15.

    This is easily made reasonable if we see that Short, Medium and Tall areall
    negatively associated. In my system, if A and B are not semantically
    inconsistent, we can use any multivalued logic we please including Zadeh's;
    but if A and B are semantically inconsistent, we MUST use A OR B = min(1, a +
    b), and A AND B = max(0, 1 - (a + b). Applying this to Earl's example, Short
    OR Medium OR Tall = 1, and Short AND Medium AND Tall = 0.

    This logic may not be considered truth functional, I suppose; we have to
    parse the (complex) proposition to see what logic we should use. But the
    results give us a multivalued logic which makes sense both mathematically and
    to the layman.

    In your example, suppose that the proposiition we wish to evaluate is A AND
    B. You state that if truth(B') = truth(B), that A AND B' has the same truth
    value as A AND B. Sounds reasonable, and seems to be in accordance with the
    rule of substitution. (let lower case letters be truth values.) We take the
    Zadeh logic as a default. Suppose that B and A are semantically unrelated,
    and that the truth value of A, B and B' are all 0.5. Then A AND B = A AND B'
    = 0.5.

    Now suppose that A is actually B, and that B' is actually NOT B. Let truth(A)
    =0.5, truth(B) is 0.5 and truth(B') = 0.5 With your method truth(B AND NOT B)
    is 0.5, as is the truth(B OR NOT B). If, however, we parse these expressions
    and use the appropriate logic operators, we get truth(B AND NOT B) = 0, and
    truth(B OR NOT B) = 1, which makes perfect sense to a biologist like myself.

    If we parse Elkan's two expressions and use the appropriate logic above with
    any multivalued logic as the default, we find that the two expressions are
    perfectly equivalent.

    Conclusion: we better be careful how we apply the classical logic rules by
    which we derive one logical proposition from another when using multivalued
    logics.

    William Siler