Re: fuzzy logic and automatic transmission

From: Joe Pfeiffer (pfeiffer@cs.nmsu.edu)
Date: Wed Aug 15 2001 - 13:44:21 MET DST

    "jok" <jok@erols.com> writes:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I am trying to figure out if I should go buy a particular car. I think the
    > manufacturer is using a control system based on fuzzy logic, but I keep
    > seeing some posts on this car indicating that there might be some issues.

    Fuzzy logic isn't magic, either good or bad. If you like how the
    transmission behaves it's a point in its favor, if you don't, it's a
    point against it. How it's programmed is irrelevant.

    > The shiftin from one gear to another might stall for a bit of time.

    That can't conceivably be from using fuzzy logic. There just aren't
    enough variables to consider. The car you're thinking of may well
    exhibit the phenomenon, but it just means the programers screwed up.

    > Apparently, the factory will READ the firmware and maybe some data and
    > re-program the on-board processor in the car to fix issue. But, they can't
    > do this off of the production line. Only on a case by case basis.

    Huh? What possible reason can there be for this?

    > Anyone have experience in using fuzzy logic in a real world control system
    > and can share the potential hazards if the designers/system architects are
    > naive?

    Exactly the same potential hazards as if naive programmers didn't use
    fuzzy logic: worst case, the car stops functioning, or locks itself
    into full throttle.

    What car are you thinking of, that the programmers screwed up so
    badly?

    --
    Joseph J. Pfeiffer, Jr., Ph.D.       Phone -- (505) 646-1605
    Department of Computer Science       FAX   -- (505) 646-1002