Re: Thomas' Fuzziness and Probability

From: Joe Pfeiffer (pfeiffer@cs.nmsu.edu)
Date: Thu Aug 02 2001 - 12:08:48 MET DST

    "S. F. Thomas" <sf.thomas@verizon.net> writes:

    > See my comment on the use of a degree scale vs the use of a yes/no
    > response for purposes of evaluating calibrational propositions in my
    > response to Joe Pfeiffer in this thread. To repeat briefly:
    > utterances
    > come whole, not in degrees, and the calibrational question should
    > in my opinion reflect that, if what we are attempting to do is to
    > model actual language use. Having said that, I readily admit that our
    > modeling can jump from meta-language to meta-meta-language if our
    > experiments are designed to measure not subjects' own actual use, but
    > rather their estimates of overall population use, which is what I
    > think
    > a degree response captures. That is interesting too. But I think it
    > is
    > better to start with the fundamental (the subject's own use), rather
    > than with his estimate of behavior for the population as a whole ...
    > let the modeler do that, rather than the subject.

    But utterances do come in degrees -- that, to me, is the whole point.
    When we say ``the water is pretty hot'' the ``pretty'' is qualifying
    the ``hot.''

    I'll agree that the questions should try to capture the subject's own
    use -- but the question, ``on a scale of 0 to 10, to what extent would
    you say Ringo is tall?'' seems like it would better capture it than
    ``is John tall? No, you're not allowed to say `sort of,' say yes or
    no.''

    --
    Joseph J. Pfeiffer, Jr., Ph.D.       Phone -- (505) 646-1605
    Department of Computer Science       FAX   -- (505) 646-1002