Re: Thomas' Fuzziness and Probability

From: Joe Pfeiffer (pfeiffer@cs.nmsu.edu)
Date: Wed Aug 01 2001 - 18:37:38 MET DST

    (ah, I found the response on Google....)

    > From: S. F. Thomas (sf.thomas@verizon.net)
    > Subject: Re: Thomas' Fuzziness and Probability
    > Newsgroups: comp.ai.fuzzy, sci.stat.math, sci.stat.edu
    > Date: 2001-07-31 10:06:05 PST
    >
    >I like the term semantic likelihood because it gets to the heart
    >of the matter in my view. In a non-calibrational setting, eg. the
    >use of the term "tall" by a rape victim in court to describe the
    >height of her attacker, it is the calibrational response
    >uncertainty in terms purely of language-use, that leads to
    >semantic uncertainty about the precise height to which she
    >refers. The semantic likelihood function traces out the relative
    >possibility of various height-value hypotheses consistent with
    >her description of her attacker as "tall". In ordinary discourse
    >and comprehension, we don't need to have it spelt out, obviously.
    >But is in some sense there.

    I think this is the step I'm having a hard time with. It is
    absolutely not intuitive to me that the probability that someone will
    be referred to as tall is an accurate description of the extent to
    which they are tall...

    --
    Joseph J. Pfeiffer, Jr., Ph.D.       Phone -- (505) 646-1605
    Department of Computer Science       FAX   -- (505) 646-1002