Re: (1) FAQ & (2) code for Fuzzy Systems Handbook

From: Earl Cox (earldcox1@home.com)
Date: Fri Jul 27 2001 - 11:27:42 MET DST

    The CD-ROm on the book was cut before the final QA and the addition of a few
    required support files. I will make the same offer I was making for some
    time to those who emailed me about their problems: send me the CD from the
    book and I will send you a new CD with a clean, working copy of the fuzzy
    logic stuff.

    I have noticed that lots of people have assimilated my code (including IBM,
    and a few other writers) and versions of it appear in Java and C++. But I
    think the code itself is pretty good, well documented, and, when complete,
    works very well.

    As for interest in Fuzzy Logic... well just the tiny size of this news group
    and the almost complete lack of any intelligent discourse (after you remove
    the newbies asking for help and the CFP's from various conferences) is an
    indication of fuzzy logic's sorry state. Fuzzy logic is one of the most
    powerful reasoning techniques in computational intelligence but, at the same
    time, the most scoffed and completely misunderstood.

    --
    Earl Cox
    VP, Research/Chief Scientist

    AUTHOR: "The Fuzzy Systems Handbook" (1994) "Fuzzy Logic for Business and Industry" (1995) "Beyond Humanity: CyberEvolution and Future Minds" (1996, with Greg Paul, Paleontologist/Artist) "The Fuzzy Systems Handbook, 2nd Ed." (1998) "Fuzzy Tools for Data Mining and Knowledge Discovery" (due Early Fall, 2001)

    "Willem" <willem.deru@absolit.co.za> wrote in message news:3b5ff04c$0$2731@proctor... > Dear all > > 1. It seems to me that the FAQ has not been updated for a number of years? I > am hoping that I might be wrong and that this is not an indication of the > future interest in Fuzzy Logic? > > 2. I am using E. Cox's 2nd edition Fuzzy Systems Handbook, with which I have > a "love/hate" relationship :) In my mind it is an excellent book, but on > Win32 bit platforms it is very cumbersome to get the source code going. > (from VB or from C++) > Does anybody have better source code or have anybody played around with the > code that ships with the book? > > > Thank you very much! > > > Willem de Ru > >