Invitation to Information Assurance Workshop

From: William Oblitey (oblitey@iup.edu)
Date: Thu Jul 05 2001 - 22:24:49 MET DST

    This is being advertized to all University and Community College faculty
    and 2 or 4 year schools in Information Technology or Criminology
    disciplines.

    Thanks,
    Bill Oblitey.

    Faculty Workshops in Cybersecurity. August 5-10 at IUP.

    We are pleased to be able to announce that IUP has received an NSF grant
    to help prepare undergraduate faculty in information technology related
    disciplines, and criminology to teach modules and/or courses on
    cybersecurity.

    This summer we will be offering three closely related workshops free
    during the week of August 5-10.
    Faculty will check in on Sunday night and leave after lunch on Friday.
    Tuition, housing and meals will be funded by the grant. Participants
    will be responsible for their own travel.

    Workshop I. Cybersecurity basics. Designed as a practical hands on
    lab course, participants will go through a series of exercises and will
    in fact play cyberwar...learning to attack and defend systems.

    Workshop II. Network and operating systems security. a more technical
    course designed for the more advanced who feel comfortable with the
    basics. This course will cover firewalls, proxy servers, routers,
    intrusion detection software, auditing.

    Workshop III. Cybercrime detection and loss prevention. Taught by a
    lawyer with a background in cybersecurity this course is mainly intended
    for law enforcement personnel. Once a break in has occurred what can be
    done to obtain evidence and prosecute the offender.

    We hope that these three groups will mingle with each other and we want
    to plan some large group activities to foster crossover.

    Each faculty member will be expected to develop a module that can be
    used in an existing course on their campus to emphasize the need for
    everyone to be more security conscious.
    In May 2001, participating faculty will be invited to return to IUP for
    the PACISE conference to present their module. We will be contacting
    Prentice Hall and Addison Wesley to see if they would be interested in
    publishing these materials.

    Applications will be processed on a first come first served basis,
    although of course we would like a good mix of skills.
    Please send a resume, and a letter that covers your reason for being
    interested, the module you would develop, and your current level of
    awareness with regard to cybersecurity. We would also like a letter of
    support from your chairman.
    More details can be obtained from our website at
    http://penguin.nsm.iup.edu/security.
    Contact: Dr. William Oblitey --oblitey@grove.iup.edu
    Dr. Dennis Giever dgiever@grove.iup.edu.