Re: Fuzzy systems in the process industries

From: P. Sarma (pramits@vsnl.com)
Date: Thu Jun 28 2001 - 04:33:11 MET DST

    Here are some examples of real applications of FLS:

    Control of cement kilns was the earliest major industrial success, deriving
    from Mamdani's group (it is unique in the sense that this process was
    virtually impossible to convert into unsupervised automatic control, until
    the advent of these FLCs)

    Umbers, I.G., and King, P.J., "An analysis of human decision-making in
    cement kiln control and the implications for automation," Int. Jrnl. of
    Man-Mach. Stud., Vol. 12, 1980, pp. 11-23.

    Holmblad, P.J. and Ostergaard, J.J., "Control of a cement kiln by fuzzy
    logic", in Fuzzy Information and Decision Processes (MM Gupta and E Sanchez,
    Eds.), North-Holland, Amsterdam, 1982.

    Many machine job-shop processes including

    Hsu, P-L and Fann W-R, "Fuzzy adaptive control of machining processes with a
    self-learning algorithm", Trans. ASME, 118, pp. 522-530, 1996.

    Prabhu, SM and Garg, DP, "Fuzzy-logic based reinforcement learning of
    admittance control for automated robotic manufacture", Engg. Applns. Artif.
    Intell., 11, pp. 7-24, 1998.

    Medical technology eg.

    Shieh, JS, Linkens, DA and Peacock, JE, "Hierarchical rule-based and
    self-organizing fuzzy logic control for depth of anaesthesia", IEEE Trans.
    Sys. Man Cyb. Part C, SMCC-29, pp. 98-109, 1999.

    There are many others, yet Sugeno's 1985 compilation "Industrial
    Applications of Fuzzy Control" by North-Holland remains a classic source.
    Other books co-authored by Sugeno, esp. the broad-based "Fuzzy systems
    theory and applications", Asai, T, Sugeno, M and Toshiro, T., Academic
    Press, San Diego, 1992 provide more fuzzy tech applications.

    The journals especially Fuzzy Sets and Systems, IEEE Trans. Fuzzy Systems,
    Control Sys Tech, J. Intell. and Fuzzy Systems, frequently carry papers on
    industrial FLS applications.

    Pramit