Brainy 'Bots

From: avineri erel (avineri@zahav.net.il)
Date: Thu Jun 07 2001 - 09:23:00 MET DST

    > Fuzzy logic allows computers to operate not only in terms of black and
    white
    > -- true or false -- but also in shades of gray. For example, a traditional
    > computer would take the height measurement of a tree and assign that tree
    > some category -- say, "tall." But a fuzzy logic computer would say the
    tree
    > has a 78 percent chance (for example) of belonging to the category "tall"
    > and a 22 percent chance of belonging to some other category. The sharp
    > distinction between "tall" and "short" becomes fuzzy.

    the above definition is not accurate (and I'm sure lot of you noticed it
    already). Fuzzy logic is not probabilistic theory. In the above example
    there are only two crisp values (or groups), "tall" and "short" with a
    probability to be in each of the groups, but only in one of them. In this
    case, the tree is both "tall" and "short" on the same time, with different
    membership values.

    Erel Avineri, Israel