Re: Humans think fuzzy?

From: David Olmsted (dolmsted@springnet1.com)
Date: Thu May 17 2001 - 15:22:15 MET DST

    Harris Georgiou wrote:

> [...]

    Hi everyone,

    A neuron clearly showing the fuzzy logic INCLUSIVE OR property of passing the
    maximum value among it inputs has been found in
    the auditory system of the frog brain (see the home page of my web site
    http://neurocomputing.org for the data and reference). Yet neural signals have
    more than one parameter (dimension) unlike the values used in conventional logic
    and probability. Neural signals have a pulse width (number of action potentials)
    and within that pulse the action potentials have a frequency. In addition the
    frequency has a variance and often a decay. Finally, a variable latency often
    occurs before the pulse is triggered.

    Certainly neural signals have a validity value in addition to a truth value to
    make it at least a 2-dimensional multivalued logic (a generalization of fuzzy and
    modal logic as pointed out by Stephen Lehmke in a posting to this newsgroup). But
    how are these 2 dimensions used and defined? How do they interact? Is there a
    relation to probability? And what about their variances?

    Probability and logic and not independent. Consider this question about a car
    belonging to the sample set of vehicles. "What is the probability that a car is
    behind a wall?" The probability depends upon the precision of the definition for
    "car". Does "car" include a pick-up truck, a sport utility vehicle, a van?

    Sincerely,
    David Olmsted