Re: Humans think fuzzy?

From: Harris Georgiou (xgeorgio@hol.gr)
Date: Sat May 12 2001 - 18:25:05 MET DST

    Ο Russ Heersberger <russ.hersberger@home.com> έγραψε στο μήνυμα συζήτησης:
    Z_2K6.14420$Hk4.252336@news1.rdc1.ab.home.com...
    > <Snip> :-)
    > > fuzzy, but it is a fact that human brain learns most of the things in a
    > > trial-and-error scheme.
    > 1. I disagree. Humans and others use teaching to increase knowledge.
    Without
    > teaching there is very little a human (with a few exceptions) can discover
    > in a lifetime.
    > 2. Are you implying that trial and error systems are fuzzy systems?

    And what is teaching? Simply a trial-and-error scheme. Maybe the effects of
    "trial" are not the result of personal experience but rather the description
    of what is "wrong" and "right". Always there is a cause and effect
    association during learning process, even if we do not understand it
    completely or do not compensate the meaning/importance of it as students.
    Just imagine how a baby gradually learns how to pick up items, to use it's
    legs to walk, to make sounds with communicative meaning.

    > >A neuron output
    > > fluctuates between two boundary values (say, "0" and "1") but all the
    > values
    > > in between are used to characterize an unknown or ambiguous input,
    > something
    > > that works much like a fuzzy fuction, not binary for sure.
    > There are many distributions and mathematical functions that when
    normalized
    > fluctuate between 0 and 1. Are they fuzzy functions?

    Of course they are! If the function smooth and gradually rises from 0
    ("false") to 1 ("true") it can be used in a fuzzy system to map the
    subjective point-of-view with regard to logic properties for the specific
    situation: it does not have to be the "correct" one in terms of "common
    sense" (which also leads to a whole new set of fuzzy functions instead of
    one and only). Can we say that all people have the same sense in the term
    "tall" or "short"? Furthermore, do children see the same "tall" and "short"
    persons by their standards of height?

    --

    Harris

    - 'Malo e lelei ki he pongipongi!'