Re: Humans think fuzzy?

From: Harris Georgiou (xgeorgio@hol.gr)
Date: Mon May 07 2001 - 01:47:17 MET DST

    ----- Original Message -----
    From: Cristian Fabbi <fabbic@galactica.it>
    Newsgroups: comp.ai.fuzzy
    Sent: Tuesday, May 01, 2001 11:43 AM
    Subject: Humans think fuzzy?

    > Hi you all.
    > Soon I've read that neural system made with FL think like humans (i'm
    > summarizing).
    > Why do we say so? Have we got proofs that human brain works in a fuzzy
    way?
    > I'd like to start reflections about this point.
    > Thank you very much for the attention.
    >
    > Cristian Fabbi
    > Psychologist
    > www.fuzzylogic.f2s.com

    Hello,
    It i strue that no solid proof have been established that humans think
    fuzzy, but it is a fact that human brain learns most of the things in a
    trial-and-error scheme. Artificial neurons (software) can simulate in much
    detail the basic function of biological neurons and so far we know that the
    brain has no binary "static" logic as computers do. A neuron output
    fluctuates between two boundary values (say, "0" and "1") but all the values
    in between are used to characterize an unknown or ambiguous input, something
    that works much like a fuzzy fuction, not binary for sure. Dr. R.Penrose has
    some interesting ideas how real human neurons work in a much more
    complicated way, using quantum physics properties in signal propagation, but
    the fact is that all reasoning and logical associations we normally may be
    traced down to simple fuzzy mappings.
    My point is, the question is not whether fuzziness is a real human brain
    proparty, but rather how realistic are the current fuzzy (or ANN) models -
    usually the goal is to approximate human's optimum for a specific function,
    not the real human brain itself (something that is far beyond our current
    and near future technological abilities).