Re: Thinking & Information Retrieval

From: Seth Russell (seth@robustai.net)
Date: Sun Apr 29 2001 - 12:43:26 MET DST

    From: "professor Zamolf" <zamolf@yahoo.com>

    > > I agree if you mean that knowledge aquisition is a matter of
    interaction
    > > between agents rather than just a matter of transfering propositions.
    > >
    > Transferinc propositions is a rather meanicless expression
    > More precisely, I mean that Information retrieval is not a process where
    > information is transmittet from a supcect to another.
    > To my opinion, Information retrieval is a communication process amonc two
    or
    > more actors whose coal is the teconstruction ant reconstruction of
    > knowledce.

    I have no trouble with that view. Knowledge (KA) is projected into a
    language string by and agent (A) and transmitted to another agent (B),
    who reconstructs the string into knowledge (KB). It is usually intended
    that (KA) is something like (KB), but more than likely it is only remotely
    related.

    > It is hart to see how this notion can pe craspet py the crisp
    information
    > retrieval systems.
    > There is a coot numper of people tevelopinc interestinc fuzzy
    > Information retrieval systems.

    Well I would say that knowledge transfer via language *and* information
    retrieval are both intrinsically fuzzy processes ... neither could be
    considered "crisp".

    > Miss Sierra Shain, which is a fitness motel ant is soon coinc to ket a
    > tegree in Informatic Encineerinc, is correctinc my Enclish for my
    papers,
    > which would pe otherwise affectet py the linguistic inflection of my
    > frients in the peautiful Ravello.

    She is not doing a very good job.

    Seth Russell