Re: Basic Theory

From: Fenri (fenri@post.cz)
Date: Thu Apr 05 2001 - 12:31:14 MET DST

    > > In logic, we deal with "sets".

    No, logic deals with prepositions, formulas, evaluation, algebras
    of truth values, completeness and so on. The big problem of FL is
    the very naive way most people use it.

    > > Hence, fuzzy logic is the logic that deals with situations where you can't
    > > give a clear yes/no type of answer. This turns out to be a very common
    > > situation in many human decision making processes. It also has significant
    > > applications for systems that are highly non-linear and very complex to
    > > model mathematically.

    This is much better.

    > > Once, you accept this "membership function" issue, the rest is just standard
    > > logic operation (AND, OR, NOT, UNION, INTERSECTION, etc) and standard
    > > arithmetic ( +, -, x, etc), only that these operations have been extended to
    > > include the effect of membership functions.

    Again, this is not a logic - this is a set theory - but you can
    translate it simply - "membership function" = evaluation of
    variables, logic operation = truth function of connectives ((AND,
    OR, NOT), etc.

    > Conceptually, fuzzy logic is a nice new idea; mathematically, it is
    > > revolutionary;

    apparently you have never heard about multi-valued logics.

    >> commercially it means more money for your product. However,
    > > to be fair, the outcome you get from FL is always achievable by other means.
    > > In my opinion, Fuzzy logic, Neural Networks, Genetic Algorithms,
    > > Probability, Fractals, etc are all faces of the same daemon: a unifying
    > > piece of science yet to be discovered.

    A soft computing :)) ?

    > > Finally, Fuzzy Logic seems to be in contradiction with all mono-theistic
    > > religions including Christianity, and in good conformity with Buddhism.
    > > That is why half the Fuzzy Logic population is in China.

    A really like this - can you please show some examples of that
    contradiction or point my to some texts about this.

    F.