[Fwd: Please tell your colleagues about Public Library of Science]

From: H. Mark Hubey (HubeyH@mail.montclair.edu)
Date: Fri Mar 02 2001 - 19:07:28 MET

    -------- Original Message --------
    Subject: Please tell your colleagues about Public Library of Science
    Date: Tue, 27 Feb 2001 22:48:16 -0800
    From: Public Library of Science Initiative
    <post@publiclibraryofscience.org>
    To: <HUBEYH@MAIL.MONTCLAIR.EDU>

    Dear H.M. Hubey,

    As of February 25, more than four thousand scientists from 91
    countries have joined you in signing the open letter in support of
    the Public Library of Science initiative. As a result of this
    initiative, several scientific publishers have already decided to
    adopt the policy advocated in the open letter, and almost every
    publisher and scientific society is discussing it. Yet, most life
    scientists are still unaware of this initiative, and many of those
    who do know of its existence have a distorted view of the proposal
    and its purpose.

    The breadth and depth of support for this initiative from the
    scientific community will determine its success. We believe that with
    your help in informing your colleagues about this effort, and
    encouraging them to support it, the open letter can be published in
    May with the signatures of 50,000 scientists.

    To achieve this goal, we each need to reach out to at least ten of
    our colleagues. We would therefore like to ask you to consider two
    steps:

    1. Send an email message to all the scientific colleagues in your
    address book (using the text attached at the bottom of this message,
    or a modified version of it, or use your own language).

    2. Spend an hour or two of your time in the next week talking to
    colleagues at your own and other institutions, explaining to them the
    reasons that you chose to support the initiative, and encouraging
    them to join you in signing the letter. (Let them know that they can
    sign the letter online at: http://www.publiclibraryofscience.org).

    Please also make a special effort to talk directly with the editors
    and publishers of journals that are important to you, informing them
    of your support of this initiative, and encouraging them to adopt the
    policy that the letter advocates. We would greatly appreciate hearing
    about any such efforts you are able to make.

    Your time and effort can make the crucial difference in the success
    of this initiative.

    Sincerely,

    Michael Ashburner, University of Cambridge
    Patrick O. Brown, Stanford University
    Mary Case, Association of Research Libraries
    Michael B. Eisen, Lawrence Berkeley National Lab and UC Berkeley
    Lee Hartwell, Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center
    Marc Kirschner, Harvard University
    Chaitan Khosla, Stanford University
    Roel Nusse, Stanford University
    Richard J. Roberts, New England Biolabs
    Matthew Scott, Stanford University
    Harold Varmus, Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center
    Barbara Wold, Caltech

    ========= Model email message to send to colleagues =========

    Dear Colleague,

    We write to ask for your support of an initiative to provide
    unrestricted access to the published record of scientific research.
    An open letter in support of this initiative has been signed by more
    than 4,500 scientists from 91 countries. We hope you will take a
    minute to read the letter and consider signing it.

    The open letter, a list of the scientists who have already signed it,
    and some answers to frequently asked questions are posted at:
    http://www.publiclibraryofscience.org. This site also provides a way
    for colleagues to sign the open letter online.

    You may also wish to read an editorial written by Richard J. Roberts,
    recently published in PNAS, which explains why he supports the
    initiative (http://www.pnas.org/cgi/content/full/041601398v1).

    This is a grassroots initiative, and the breadth and depth of support
    it receives from the scientific community will determine its success.
    If you decide to support this effort, please consider spending an
    hour or two of your time in the next week talking to colleagues at
    your own and other institutions, explaining to them the reasons that
    you chose to support it, and encouraging them to join you in signing
    the letter. Your effort can really make a difference.