BISC: Queries on Multimedia Databases: Precisiated Natural Language

From: Masoud Nikravesh (nikravesh@eecs.berkeley.edu)
Date: Tue Jan 23 2001 - 12:13:41 MET

    Berkeley Initiative in Soft Computing (BISC)

    Queries on Multimedia Databases: Precisiated Natural Language

    Marcin Detyniecki
    Institut National de Recherche en Informatique et en Automatique (INRIA)
    http://www.inria.fr/

    BISC Fellow: EECS, CS Division, University of California, Berkeley
    http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~nikraves/biscteam/

    Video as format of computer related material is becoming more and more
    common. Each day new multimedia information systems appear in the market
    containing more and more video. Also the format of information on the
    Internet is clearly evolving to a video form. Initially we saw the embedding
    of images on text pages, now we see simple animation on almost every web
    page. We also know that the amount of information stored in computers is
    growing. So, the question that naturally arises is: "How to get the
    information you want?"

    In this seminar, we will present a new tool for retrieving information
    inside a video. We will focus on how to construct and answer queries on a
    single annotated video. The annotation may be in a database with other
    information. We assume that the annotations are precisely time-indexed, but
    their attached information may be uncertain. In other words, we know
    precisely in which minute of the video something happens, but we are not
    completely sure about everything associated with the event. We note that
    this information may come from automatic or manual indexing. In order to
    handle this inevitable uncertainty we propose to use fuzzy methods.

    We introduce, following the spirit of Zadeh's idea of "Precisiated Natural
    Language", a dictionary with the basic concepts and methods for constructing
    new ones. PNL allows us to have a user friendly interface. With this
    vocabulary and the logic tools introduced, the user will be able to realize
    human type queries. In this presentation we will focus on the fuzzy time
    related queries.

    Research Interest:

    Fuzzy Logic and Multimedia Indexing
    Mathematical Aggregation Operators and their Application to the Video
    Querying

    While in BISC-UC Berkeley: PNL and Fuzzy Query

    Ph.D. in Artificial Intelligence Laboratory of Computer Science of Paris VI
    (LIP6)(teams: Fuzzy Logic and Multimedia Indexing)and the Machine Intelligence
    Institute - New York Title: " Mathematical Aggregation Operators and their
    Application to the Video Querying "
    (http://www-apa.lip6.fr/LOFTI/Equipe/Marcin/marcin.html)

    --
    Dr. Masoud NikRavesh
    Research Engineer - BT Senior Research Fellow

    Berkeley initiative in Soft Computing (BISC) Computer Science Division- Department of EECS University of California, Berkeley, CA 94720 Phone: (510) 643-4522 - Fax: (510) 642-5775 Email: nikravesh@cs.berkeley.edu URL: http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~nikraves/ -------------------------------------------------------------------- If you ever want to remove yourself from this mailing list, you can send mail to <Majordomo@EECS.Berkeley.EDU> with the following command in the body of your email message: unsubscribe bisc-group or from another account, unsubscribe bisc-group <your_email_adress>