Re: Do we have proofs that human think in a fuzzy (logic) way?

From: Martine De Cock (Martine.DeCock@rug.ac.be)
Date: Thu Jan 18 2001 - 14:23:24 MET

    On Tue, 16 Jan 2001, Gordon D. Pusch wrote:

    > Martine De Cock <Martine.DeCock@rug.ac.be> writes:
    >
    > > Cristian Fabbi wrote:
    > >>
    > >> studied by FL? Why do we say that with Fuzzy Logic we will make
    > >> computers thinking like human?
    > >
    > > Because we believe "that humans deal with imprecision and uncertainty
    > > by using linguistic values and that they apply some kind of approximate
    > > reasoning techniques rather than exact numerical values and first order
    > > logic". (Fuzzy Sets and Approximate Reasoning, Etienne E. Kerre, Xian
    > > Jiaotong University Press, Xian (P.R. China), 1999).
    >
    > It does not follow that because humans "deal with imprecision and uncertainty"
    > they must therefore be using the specific mathematical formalism called
    > ``fuzzy logic'' to do so, or that machines using this mathematical formalism
    > will ``think'' exactly the same way humans think.

    I did not claim that the human mind uses fuzzy logic. I simply remarked
    that we believe that (adult) humans use linguistic values and an
    approximate reasoning technique to deal with imprecision and uncertainty.
    Fuzzy Set Theory provides a framework for doing the same thing: computing
    with linguistic values and approximate reasoning. Therefore it is a nice
    way to mimic human reasoning.

    Kind regards,
    Martine.

    Martine De Cock e-mail : Martine.DeCock@rug.ac.be
    Fund for Scientific Research-Flanders
    Fuzziness and Uncertainty Modelling Research Unit
    Department of Applied Mathematics and Computer Science
    Ghent University
    Krijgslaan 281 (S9) tel. : +32 (0)9/264.47.72
    B-9000 Ghent (Belgium) fax. : +32 (0)9/264.49.95