Re: data smushing on the Internet for the Semantic Web

From: Seth Russell (seth@robustai.net)
Date: Tue Jan 02 2001 - 13:34:25 MET

    Tcmits1 wrote:

    > Isn't one issue that 'equality' itself is fuzzy? For example, two nodes may
    > not be crisply equivelent, but Fuzzily equivalent, that is one node may be a
    > direct link to a resource, and the other an indirect link (with multiple
    > pointers) to the same exact resource. The nodes are 'equal' in certain
    > aspects. Isn't this what Fuzzy sets could capture (partial subsets)?

    Yes, RDF specifies where the nodes are "crisply equivalent" when it labels them
    with the same an URI, and URIs have an exact sense of equality. The problem
    arises where the nodes are anonymous (no URI assigned) or perhaps where the URI
    has been assigned in error. Let's say we encounter two different nodes in the
    Semantic Web that don't have URIs:

    the first node:
    [ ] --rdf:type--> [person]
    [ ] --email--> "seth@robustai.net"
    [ ] --name--> "Seth Russell"
    [ ] --homePage--> [http://www.robustai.net/~seth/index.htm]

    the second node:
    [ ] --rdf:type--> [person]
    [ ] --email--> "seth@robustai.net"
    [ ] --firstName--> "Seth"
    [ ] --lastName--> "Russell"
    [ ] --authorOf--> [http://www.robustai.net/ai/symknow.htm]

    What is the process and/or the algorithm that lets us [smush] these together
    into:

    [s1] --rdf:type--> [person]
    [s1] --email--> "seth@robustai.net"
    [s1] --name--> "Seth Russell"
    [s1] --firstName--> "Seth"
    [s1] --lastName--> "Russell"
    [s1] --authorOf--> [http://www.robustai.net/ai/symknow.htm]
    [s1] --homePage--> [http://www.robustai.net/~seth/index.htm]

    [s1] representing a URI. Defining that kind of a process is what we need .. and
    we need it badly!!

    [data smushing] --firstCoined-->
    http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-rdf-interest/2000Dec/0191.html

    Seth Russell