BISC: Lotfi. A. Zadeh: Holiday Greetings

From: Nick (nickramas@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Dec 27 2000 - 14:45:48 MET

    Berkeley Initiative in Soft Computing (BISC)

    I should like to convey to all of you my best wishes
    and warm greetings for the holidays and the New Year.
    I wish I could do it on a personal basis.

    During the past year, fuzzy logic and its applications
    continued to grow in visibility and importance.
    Likewise, the concept of soft computing gained wide
    acceptance. It is a truism that more can be achieved
    through the use of methodologies of soft computing in
    combination than in a stand alone mode.

    I should like to use this occasion to draw your
    attention to two developments. First, I believe that
    we are witnessing the beginning of a romance between
    fuzzy logic and the Internet. The reasons are clear.
    Internet is pervaded with imprecision and uncertainty.
    What is needed in Internet is a logical system which,
    unlike classical logic, supports modes of reasoning
    which are approximate rather than exact. This is
    precisely what fuzzy logic has to offer.

    To a far greater extent than many os us, including
    myself,have realized, fuzzy logic is already in wide
    use in search engines. However, the use is, for the
    most part, elementary in nature. This is why expertise
    of the fuzzy logic community is needed to raise to a
    much higher level the use of fuzzy logic in the
    Internet, especially in the realms of search and
    deduction. I believe that eventually fuzzy logic will
    become a key component of the brainware of the
    Internet.

    The second development is more personal and relates
    to my recent publications on computing with words, the
    computational theory of perceptions and precisiated
    natural language. In my perception, these linked
    theories constitute a new direction in the evolution
    of fuzzy logic, opening the door to a far-reaching
    enlargement of the role of natural languages in
    scientific theories. It may take some time, however,
    for this view to gain wide acceptance.

    Again, my best wwishes for the holidays and the New
    Year.

                                As always,

                                      Lotfi

    =====
    Professor in the Graduate School, Computer Science
    Division
    Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer
    Sciences
    University of California, Berkeley, CA 94720-1776
    Director, Berkeley Initiative in Soft Computing (BISC)
    Tel (office): (510) 642-4959, Fax (office): (510)
    642-1712
    Tel (home): (510) 526-2569, Fax (home): (510) 526-2433
    zadeh@cs.berkeley.edu