<geen onderwerp>

From: Thierry Marchant (Thierry.Marchant@rug.ac.be)
Date: Fri Dec 22 2000 - 18:01:10 MET

    > Dit bericht heeft een MIME-indeling. Omdat uw e-maillezer
    deze indeling niet ondersteunt, is dit bericht mogelijk
    gedeeltelijk of geheel niet leesbaar.

    --MS_Mac_OE_3060347684_47305034_MIME_Part

                        NEW BOOK ANNOUNCEMENT

      * *
      * EVALUATION AND DECISION MODELS : A CRITICAL PERSPECTIVE *
      * *

          By Denis Bouyssou Thierry Marchant
              Patrice Perny Marc Pirlot
              Alexis Tsoukias Philippe Vincke

                   Kluwer Academic Publishers, Boston

     International Series In Operations Research And Management Science
               Vol. 32, Hardbound, ISBN 0-7923-7250-6
                        November 2000, 288 pp.

           http://kapis.www.wkap.nl/book.htm/0-7923-7250-6

        BRIEF DESCRIPTION
        -----------------

    Deciding is a very complex and difficult task. When the task is too comple=
    or the interests at stake are too important, it quite often happens that we
    do not know or we are not sure what to decide and, in many instances, we
    resort to a decision support technique: an informal one (we toss a coin, we
    ask an oracle, we visit an astrologer, we consult an expert) or a formal
    one. This book focuses on the latter techniques: cost-benefit analysis,
    multiple criteria decision analysis, decision trees, etc. Such techniques
    are now part of our everyday life:

    =B7 When the director of a school must decide whether a given student will
    pass or fail, he usually asks each teacher to assess the merits of the
    student by means of a grade. The director then sums the grades and compares
    the result to a threshold.

    =B7 When a bank must decide whether a given client will obtain a credit or
    not, a technique, called credit scoring, is often used.

    =B7 When the mayor of a city decides to temporarily forbid car traffic in a
    city because of air pollution, he probably takes the value of some
    indicators, e.g. the air quality index, into account.

    =B7 Groups or committees must also make decisions. In order to do so, they
    often use voting procedures.

    These formal techniques so widespread that almost no one can pretend he is
    not using or suffering the consequences of one of them. Probably because of
    their formal character, they inspire respect and trust: they look
    "scientific".

    But are they really well founded ? Do they perform as well as we want ? Can
    we safely rely on them when we have to make important decisions ? This is
    the subject of this book. It aims at showing the power but also the limits
    of such models and hopefully will give some clues on how to use them
    properly.

        CONTENT
        -------

    1. Introduction. 2. Choosing on the basis of several opinions. 3. Building
    and aggregating evaluations. 4. Constructing measures. 5. Assessing
    competing projects. 6. Comparing on several attributes. 7. Deciding
    automatically. 8. Dealing with uncertainty. 9. Supporting decisions. 10.
    Conclusion. Bibliography. Index.

        AUDIENCE
        --------

    No mathematical prerequisite needed. Technical details are kept at a
    minimum. This book should be of interest to anyone confronted to the use of
    evaluation and decision models e.g. school teachers, managers, computer
    scientists, economists, decision analysts, etc.

        ABOUT THE AUTHORS
        -----------------

    The authors work in six different European universities. Their backgrounds
    are varied: mathematics, economics, engineering, law, and geology, and they
    teach in engineering, business, mathematics, computer science, and
    psychology in their universities. As a group, the authors have particular
    expertise in a variety of decision models that include preference modelling=
    ,
    fuzzy logic, aggregation techniques, social choice theory, artificial
    intelligence, problem structuring, measurement theory, operations research,
    and multiple criteria decision support. In addition to their decision
    analysis research, all the authors have been involved in a variety of
    high-impact applications which include software evaluation, location of a
    nuclear repository, the rehabilitation of a sewer network, and the location
    of high-voltage lines.

    --MS_Mac_OE_3060347684_47305034_MIME_Part

    <HTML>
    <HEAD>
    <TITLE>&lt;geen onderwerp&gt;</TITLE>
    </HEAD>
    <BODY BGCOLOR=3D"#FFFFFF">
    <TT> &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<BR>
    &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nb=
    sp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;NEW BOOK ANNOUNCEMENT<BR>
    <BR>
    <BR>
    &nbsp;&nbsp;**************************************************************<=

    &nbsp;&nbsp;* &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&=
    nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp=
    ;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nb=
    sp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&=
    nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;*<BR>
    &nbsp;&nbsp;* &nbsp;&nbsp;EVALUATION AND DECISION MODELS : A CRITICAL PERSP=
    ECTIVE &nbsp;*<BR>
    &nbsp;&nbsp;* &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&=
    nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp=
    ;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nb=
    sp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&=
    nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;*<BR>
    &nbsp;&nbsp;**************************************************************<=

    <BR>
    <BR>
    &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;By &nbsp;Denis Bouyssou &nbsp;&nbsp;&nb=
    sp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Thierry Marchant<BR>
    &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Patrice Perny &=
    nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Marc Pirlot<BR>
    &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Alexis Tsoukias=
     &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Philippe Vincke<BR>
    <BR>
    &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nb=
    sp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Kluwer Academic Publishers, Boston<BR>
    <BR>
    &nbsp;International Series In Operations Research And Management Science <B=

    &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Vol. 32, =
    Hardbound, ISBN 0-7923-7250-6<BR>
    &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nb=
    sp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;November 2000, 288 pp.<BR>
    <BR>
    &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;<FONT COLOR=3D"#0000FF"><U>http://k=
    apis.www.wkap.nl/book.htm/0-7923-7250-6<BR>
    </U></FONT><BR>
    <BR>
    &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;BRIEF DESCRIPTION<BR>
    &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;-----------------<BR>
    <BR>
    Deciding is a very complex and difficult task. &nbsp;When the task is too c=
    omplex or the interests at stake are too important, it quite often happens t=
    hat we do not know or we are not sure what to decide and, in many instances,=
     we resort to a decision support technique: an informal one (we toss a coin,=
     we ask an oracle, we visit an astrologer, we consult an expert) or a formal=
     one. This book focuses on the latter techniques: cost-benefit analysis, mul=
    tiple criteria decision analysis, decision trees, etc. Such techniques are n=
    ow part of our everyday life:<BR>
    <BR>
    =B7 When the director of a school must decide whether a given student will pa=
    ss or fail, he usually asks each teacher to assess the merits of the student=
     by means of a grade. The director then sums the grades and compares the res=
    ult to a threshold. <BR>
    <BR>
    =B7 When a bank must decide whether a given client will obtain a credit or no=
    t, a technique, called credit scoring, is often used. <BR>
    <BR>
    =B7 When the mayor of a city decides to temporarily forbid car traffic in a c=
    ity because of air pollution, he probably takes the value of some indicators=
    , &nbsp;e.g. the air quality index, into account. <BR>
    <BR>
    =B7 Groups or committees must also make decisions. In order to do so, they of=
    ten use voting procedures. <BR>
    <BR>
    These formal techniques so widespread that almost no one can pretend he is =
    not using or suffering the consequences of one of them. Probably because of =
    their formal character, they inspire respect and trust: they look &quot;scie=
    ntific&quot;. <BR>
    <BR>
    But are they really well founded ? Do they perform as well as we want ? Can=
     we safely rely on them when we have to make important decisions ? This is t=
    he subject of this book. It aims at showing the power but also the limits of=
     such models and hopefully will give some clues on how to use them properly.=
    <BR>
    <BR>
    &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;CONTENT<BR>
    &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;-------<BR>
    <BR>
    1. Introduction. 2. Choosing on the basis of several opinions. 3. Building =
    and aggregating evaluations. 4. Constructing measures. 5. Assessing competin=
    g projects. 6. Comparing on several attributes. 7.<B> </B>Deciding automatic=
    ally. 8. Dealing with uncertainty. 9. Supporting decisions. &nbsp;10. Conclu=
    sion. Bibliography. Index. <BR>
    <BR>
    &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;AUDIENCE<BR>
    &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;--------<BR>
    <BR>
    No mathematical prerequisite needed. Technical details are kept at a minimu=
    m. This book should be of interest to anyone confronted to the use of evalua=
    tion and decision models e.g. school teachers, managers, computer scientists=
    , economists, decision analysts, etc.<BR>
    <BR>
    &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;ABOUT THE AUTHORS<BR>
    &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;-----------------<BR>
    <BR>
    The authors work in six different European universities. Their backgrounds =
    are varied: mathematics, economics, engineering, law, and geology, and they =
    teach in engineering, business, mathematics, computer science, and psycholog=
    y in their universities. As a group, the authors have particular expertise i=
    n a variety of decision models that include preference modelling, fuzzy logi=
    c, aggregation techniques, social choice theory, artificial intelligence, pr=
    oblem structuring, measurement theory, operations research, and multiple cri=
    teria decision support. In addition to their decision analysis research, all=
     the authors have been involved in a variety of high-impact applications whi=
    ch include software evaluation, location of a nuclear repository, the rehabi=
    litation of a sewer network, and the location of high-voltage lines.<BR>
    <FONT SIZE=3D"4"><BR>
    <BR>
    <BR>
    <BR>
    <BR>
    </FONT></TT>
    </BODY>
    </HTML>

    --MS_Mac_OE_3060347684_47305034_MIME_Part--