BISC: BISC Seminar; Oct 23: Hybrid Soft Computing Systems: Where Are We Going?

Subject: BISC: BISC Seminar; Oct 23: Hybrid Soft Computing Systems: Where Are We Going?
From: Masoud Nikravesh (mnikravesh@msn.com)
Date: Sun Oct 22 2000 - 06:34:25 MET DST

Berkeley Initiative in Soft Computing (BISC)

Hybrid Soft Computing Systems: Where Are We Going?

Piero P. Bonissone
GE Corporate Research and Development,
One Research Circle, Niskayuna, NY 12309, USA.
email: bonissone@crd.ge.com

October 23, 2000
373 Soda Hall
4:00-5:00pm

Abstract.

Soft computing is an association of computing methodologies
that includes fuzzy logic, neuro-computing, evolutionary
computing, and probabilistic computing. After a brief overview of
Soft Computing components, we will analyze some of its most
synergistic combinations. We will emphasize the development of
smart algorithm-controllers, such as the use of fuzzy logic
to control the parameters of evolutionary computing and, conversely,
the application of evolutionary algorithms to tune fuzzy controllers.
We will focus on three real-world applications of soft computing that
leverage the synergism created by hybrid systems.