Re: What to read?

Subject: Re: What to read?
From: Martin Sewell (martin@msewell.plus.com)
Date: Thu Oct 12 2000 - 20:31:16 MET DST

On Sat, 07 Oct 2000 18:30:44 GMT, "louise brogan-roache"
<brogan-roacherentals@mediaone.net> wrote:

>Hello, I am interested to learn about fuzzy logic, set theory, etc. and am
>looking for a good introductory text. I have tried books for laymen by
>McNeil and Kosko for an overview but found them too preaching and threw them
>in the trash. I really don't care about fuzziness vs. whatever, I just want
>to know how it works and where it has proven useful. I have a background in
>math so I'd prefer something that is to the point, backs up what is said,
>and perhaps provides some exercises to work out.

FAQ: Fuzzy Logic and Fuzzy Expert Systems 1/1
http://www.cs.cmu.edu/Web/Groups/AI/html/faqs/ai/fuzzy/part1/faq.html

With a background in maths, you may also want to consider why the
authors were preaching. Were they defensive? Could the problems have
been tackled at least as well with probability/statistics? When would
you use it, and what are the advantages?