Re: Fuzzy Logic

Subject: Re: Fuzzy Logic
From: Mark A. Baldridge (markb@bcn.net)
Date: Thu Oct 12 2000 - 20:18:29 MET DST

I am still not all that familiar with FL, but in statistics there is a
fairly formal recognition of degrees of freedom. If you have 10 pieces of
information, and 10 degrees of freedom, and you calculate a mean, the
result is a mean plus a data set with only 9 degrees of freedom. You
cannot make more information than you started with. If you subsequently
calculate a standard deviation, your sample then only has 8 degrees of
freedom, as you now also have a mean and a standard deviation calculated
from the sample set.

In FL, I am less sure about the knowledge of the data when you defuzzify
the data, and conclude an answer. Do we now think we have more
information than we had before, since the fuzziness is gone?