Re: Visual computation using aliasing and interference

Subject: Re: Visual computation using aliasing and interference
From: Ian Kemmish (ian@jawssystems.com)
Date: Tue Oct 10 2000 - 12:49:25 MET DST

In article <39E0B605.7E0F@bestweb.net>, ca314159@bestweb.net says...

>The similarity of the slide rule to a musical instrument
> is interesting.
>
> If say the C slide is moved to some point along the
> D scale, then the lines on the C scale which line up
> with lines on the D scale are particularly interesting
> from the point of view of having simple precise values
> for the multiplication result. From an analytical point
> of view it would be nice to have a slide rule that
> emphasized these particular alignments.
>
> A Moire aliasing might emphasize these aligments if the
> slide rule scales were extended and a transparency of
> one scale were overlaid on the other scale. Instead of
> using a transparency moving over a hard copy, the two
> might be hologrammed together so that instead of two
> movable scales, only the projecting beam illuminating
> the hologram would need to move as a parameter, resulting
> in a percieved motion of the two slides, via perspective.

As an amateur harpsichord tuner and professional graphics person, I'd like to
point out the rather obvious snag that Moire does *not* emphasise coincident
alignment. Two perfectly tuned unison strings will sound like one; two
perfectly aligned grids or halftone screens will look like one. You only get
buzzing and beating when the notes are slightly out of tune -- Moire emphasises
*near misses*, not perfect alignments.

Getting an answer quickly can be useful, but getting an answer that's
*guaranteed* to be slightly off is rarely helpful:-)